Sono Flex is not just another fancy app – it is a tool, a language system for developing communication skills. On this page you will learn about the idea behind Tobii Dynavox Sono Flex, as well as the research that has gone into it.
Meet conflicting needs
For many AAC users, particularly emerging communicators with limited cognitive abilities, a variety of specific needs must be accommodated when creating a language system including:
- Immediate motivational quick wins through successful communication, without steep learning curves. It must also provide a long-term scaffolding system to guide growth in language development.
- Easy personalization according to the unique needs of a single user, but also with enough pre-made material to reduce the need for configuring vocabulary.
- Simple operation and the ability to add new words easily and efficiently. At the same time it should provide enough content for a user to explore and grow into.
In short, the ideal language system should be simple, yet still offer a perfect level of sophistication. It must be optimized for the communication needs of today, as well as for future language development.
Total language support
At Tobii Dynavox we believe that these goals can only be met by a tool that supports a variety of language components, an idea supported by research and experience from the field. These components include:
- Highly interactive phrases for quick interactions, both for specific situations and generic conversation.
- Core vocabulary words that allow for individual sentence building and the use of new, and sometimes unexpected, words and phrases.
- Situation specific words and phrases for frequently recurring situations that are sorted by the context where they are used (“schematic” categories).
- General words that are available independently from specific situations in a taxonomical categorization system (a system that is sorted according to word classes like nouns, verbs, descriptive etc.).
- Access to alphabet boards even when users are pre-literate.
The combination of these language components will result in a highly individual vocabulary that is likely to evolve over time. This means that at Tobii Dynavox, we need to provide tools organized in such a way that they allow for smooth transitions to new levels and a constant path to learning.
Relevant premade content
To help caregivers and communication partners personalize content and help users develop their language and communication skills, Tobii Dynavox Sono Flex allows for:
- Mixing phrase-based and word-based communication
- Combining situations or topics with vocabulary categorized by grammar
- Minimizing programming to help caregivers easily generate a user interface that balances the mix of developmental abilities and conversational needs.
Tobii Dynavox Sono Flex provides a structure that is easy to learn, the flexibility to customize vocabulary and a growth path for communication. It is a unique tool for acquiring and developing language and communication skills.