The Tobii Dynavox PCEye Mini is our smallest and most robust eye tracker. It replaces the standard keyboard and mouse, allowing you to navigate and control your laptop or small screen desktop computer using only your eyes.
For someone who is unable to use their hands or fingers, eye tracking is one of the quickest, easiest, and most ergonomically sound way to operate a computer. The PCEye Mini lets you surf the web, connect with friends online, play games, Skype, turn on the lights or TV, and even make spreadsheets and documents using only your eyes. With the PCEye Mini you get:
- Ergonomic Computer Access – With the PCEye Mini, clicks and navigation become more intuitive, creating a relaxed and natural computing environment.
- Portable Computer Access – Easily attach and detach the PCEye Mini from your computer using its simple magnetic mounting bracket and a USB connection. It is easily transported and used with different computers, like at work or in school.
- Independent Processing – All processing for the eye tracker is done on the device itself and doesn’t slow down your computer. This means that you do not need the latest, most expensive desktop or laptop in order to use the PCEye Mini.
- The Tobii Advantage – With over 14 years of research, experience and innovation, Tobii is the global pioneer of commercial eye tracking technology. The PCEye Mini is based on our latest eye tracking platform, IS4.
Benefits of Gaze Interaction
The PCEye Mini unlocks all the functions of you computer, using only your eyes. Ultimately the PCEye Mini gives you access to:
- Personal Independence – Regaining a healthy level of personal independence is possible through the PCEye Mini that provides you with access to a computer and the Internet.
- Independent Recreation – Pass the time, have fun, learn, and stimulate your mind by accessing a computer and the Internet through the PCEye Mini.
- Environmental Control – Control IR enabled devices from your PCEye Mini and take control of things like lights, telephones, TVs, DVD players, toys, and more.
- Social Networking – With the PCEye Mini, you can take advantage of all forms of communication, write emails, access social networking sites, and give friends and family updates about yourself through a blog.
- Artistic Expression – Artistic expression through eye control is also a healthy way to spend time, acquire new skills and promote creativity, all things that can increase health and happiness.
- Ergonomic Access – Using gaze interaction to access your computer can be easier on your neck and shoulders than using a head mouse or a switch.
- Remaining in Work – Remain in the workplace longer or even return to work using the PCEye Mini.
- Add AAC – Should you need dedicated, augmented and alternative communication (AAC) software, you can also run Tobii Dynavox Communicator and Compass. These software packages provide options for more assisted communication.
Our Most Robust and Best Performing Eye Tracker to Date
The PCEye Mini is based on an additional five years of research and development as well as test data compared to its predecessor. Approximately 800 individuals with different conditions, vision, ethnicities, everyday dust, smudges or blemishes around their eyes, with eyes out of focus, etc. were tested and based on these extensive tests we’ve rewritten our eye tracking algorithms and filters. This knowledge has been packaged as new patents, new eye models, higher robustness, and the world’s first eye tracking ASIC circuit, the Tobii EyeChip™.
The PCEye Mini easily attaches and detaches from your desktop screen or laptop using a smart, seamless magnetic mounting bracket and USB connection. It is lightweight and small enough to be easily transported and used with different computers.
All eye interaction processing is done on the PCEye Mini itself with the latest Tobii EyeChip™, avoiding additional workload for your computer or tablet and ensuring maximum performance. This also means that you do not need the latest tablet, laptop or desktop computer in order to use gaze interaction as an access method.
The Tobii Advantage
Tobii is the global pioneer of eye tracking technology, with over 11 years of dedicated research, experience, and innovation. Over the years we have improved our technology and expertise, which is built into all our eye trackers, including the Tobii Dynavox PCEye Mini.
Advanced patented algorithms, filtering and high quality components, to name a few, make all Tobii eye trackers extremely accurate, precise, and robust.
High precision and accuracy
The PCEye Mini, together with the zoom functionality of Tobii Dynavox Gaze Selection, allows you to hit even the smallest targets on the screen, almost with pixel precision, again and again.
The trackbox, the imaginary volume within which you can move your head without losing accuracy, or interrupting the eye tracking session, is among the largest on the market. The large size gives you the freedom to sit or lie down comfortably with maintained eye tracking performance.
Head movement compensation
Move freely within the trackbox while maintaining superior precision and accuracy. Should you move outside of the trackbox, the PCEye Mini will quickly find your eyes again and continue to track them.
The PCEye Mini provides high-quality tracking results for over 95% of the users*, compared to any other system, regardless of most lighting conditions, eye color, or if you are wearing contacts or glasses.
*results based on hundreds of thousands of diagnostic images and tests on approximately 800 individuals with different conditions, vision, ethnicities, everyday dust, smudges or blemishes around their eyes, with eyes out of focus, etc.
|Technical specifications||PCEye Mini|
|Gaze Data Stream||60 Hz|
|Power consumption||1.5W typical average|
|Processing Unit||Tobii EyeChip™ with fully embedded processing|
|Head movement box** size at 55 cm (21.7’’) distance||>35 cm × 30 cm ellipse
>13.4” × 11.8”
|Distance from user to the Eye Tracker||45 cm – 80 cm
18” – 32″
At 55 cm (21.7 “) user distance
|Recommended up to 19”|
|Unit Size (Length × Height × Depth)||170 mm × 18 mm × 13 mm
6.69“ × 0.71“ × 0.51“
|Weight||59 g (2.1 oz)|
|System requirements||USB 2.0 or higher
Operating System: Windows 7 Windows 8.1 Windows 10
1 GHz, 2 cores
2 GB RAM memory
Graphics 60 MB VRAM
Pixel shader 2.0 or higher
450 MB free disk space for the installation of the PCEye Mini Software
.NET 4.5 must be installed on the device
* USB2 requirements: USB 2.0 BC1.2 provides Tobii IS4 with sufficient power and signal bandwidth.
** Head box describes the space in front of the eye tracker where the user must have at least one eye to get gaze data. The eye tracker is at a 20° angle looking upward from below the screen.
*** For larger than recommended screens, the limiting parameter is the quality of the gaze accuracy at the upper corners of the screen when the user sits close to the screen.