Entry Level Eye Tracker
The PCEye Explore is an entry level, peripheral eye tracker that opens up the wonderful world of gaze interaction to everyone. With the PCEye Explore, young or inexperienced users get a simple, fun, and no-fail way to learn how to use eye tracking and gaze interaction, while at the same time preparing for AAC communication.
By connecting it to your laptop or desktop, the PCEye Explore lets you move the mouse pointer and perform left clicks, using only your eyes. This basic functionality, in combination with the vast number of compatible software titles and webpages, lets users splat, smudge, reveal, paint, play, draw, make music, and more, essentially leaving them no ways to fail, but plenty of opportunities to learn while having fun.
The PCEye Explore is available with either the simple Gaze Point software or Windows Control that is suitable for more advanced users who want to control their entire computer.
No-fail play to learn basics
Look at the screen and watch what happens. In a playful environment, learn the basics of gaze interaction by seeing a result from every action.
Track the responses
A visible mouse cursor shows where the eyes are looking. When actively engaging with the screen, it is possible to start looking for deliberate and appropriate responses.
Eye Tracking Apps for Fun and Learning
There are virtually thousands of third party software titles and web applications that brnig excitement, fun, and "no-fail" activities where there has otherwise mostly been work, repetition, and effort. As long as the app works with a mouse cursor and an optional left mouse click, you can use it with the PCEye Explore!
Gaze Point Software for Early Intervention
For early intervention and simple eye tracking, you can use the Gaze Point software. Use the settings to control the basic functionality of the PCEye Explore - turn the eye tracker on or off, show or hide the mouse cursor, and turn click on or off. Also, a discreet onscreen heads-up-display indicates whether the user is properly positioned in front of the eye tracker or now, allowing for optimum eye tracking performance.
Windows Control Software for More Advanced Users
For users who want to have full access to their computer and the possibility to do left, right, double clicks, drag and drop, and more, the Windows Control software is more suitable. Click here to learn more about Windows Control.
Precise 1-Point Calibration
Calibrate the PCEye Explore in just a few seconds with 1-point calibration. This fast method still delivers a precise and accurate enough result to make full use of the PCEye Explore. It is ideal for quick calibrations of those unable or not in need of more accurate calibrations.
Cost Benefits to Schools and Centers
The PCEye Explore provides great cost benefits to schools and resource centers that offer eye tracking to its students and users, either as a complement or an alternative to switch usage.
- As a clip-on module, the PCEye Explore allows you to use it on different computers or to upgrade your desktop or laptop computer(s).
- Use the PCEye Explore with many software titles and web applications – from playing simple cause-and-effect-games to precise targeting.
- High accuracy, precision and robustness make the Tobii Dynavox PCEye Explore ideal for environments with different users. It can track most individuals, regardless of glasses, contacts lenses, or dark or light pupils and supports multiple user profiles and magnetic mounts.
Play, Track, Learn
For over 20 years, teachers, parents, and therapists have used Boardmaker to create and design their own print and interactive symbol supported activities. These activities help to enhance learning and communication for students with special needs.
Now, imagine giving your students the ability to use Boardmaker interactive activities with their eyes. It's possible...with PCEye Explore!
When used together, the PCEye Explore and Boardmaker create an exciting and educational experience for entry-level eye tracker users. Here are just a few ways that teachers, therapists, and parents can take advantage of the PCEye Explore’s affordable new technology:
Access Boardmaker activities
Use PCEye Explore either as a complement to, or an alternative to scanning. Give your students a new and natural way to participate.
Create simple cause and effect activities
Help students learn how to use eye tracking. Since students are familiar with Boardmaker activities, this helps to create a fun and stress-free way to learn a new technology.
Add Gaze Viewer, an assessment tool used with eye tracking, into the mix and your Boardmaker featuring PCEye Explore combo now has the ability to help you understand an individual user’s physical capabilities and cognitive understanding.
Who should use the PCEye Explore
The Tobii Dynavox PCEye Explore is ideal for many types of users, for example:
- Preschoolers can start interacting with their parents through simple eye tracking and gaze interaction activities and games.
- Those wanting to learn eye tracking and gaze interaction.
- Those wanting, or needing, an alternative to switch usage.
- Parents, teachers, SLPs or anyone else who needs to know if, and where, on the screen someone is looking, ideal for assessments and proving the users cognitive and physical abilites . The built in mouse cursor visibility gives a first indication, and for more advanced eye tracking and reporting PCEye Explore can be used with Gaze Viewer, which can record eye tracking data from any application, game or video and save it out as images or video sequences.
- Those working with literacy and reading skills in mainstream schools, as well as in special education. With the build in mouse cursor indicator teachers can see how the eye is moving as the learner reads on the screen and respond appropriately. For more advanced analysis and reports Gaze Viewer can be used to record and replay eye tracking data.
How do I click?
You perform a left mouse click by focusing your eye gaze for a predetermined number of milliseconds on an object. The length of the time, the so called dwell time, is controlled in the settings.
What software can I run?
Basically you can use PCEye Explore with any software, game or web application that only requires moving the mouse and, optionally a left click. This is however somewhat dependent on the type of software that you use. With Windows Control you can access all the functions on your PC, whereas Gaze Point only allows you to move the mouse pointer and perform left clicks.
What is Gaze Viewer?
Tobii Dynavox Gaze Viewer is an assessment tool for the SLT (SLP), teacher, parent, educational psychologist or anyone else wanting a better understanding of a user’s capabilities.
With Tobii Dynavox Gaze Viewer and a Tobii Dynavox eye tracker like PCEye Explore, you can record real eye tracking data from any application, whether from the Internet or e-books, games, movies and more.
Save the data as single images or movies, with heat maps and gaze plots, and use them to assess an individual’s physical capabilities and cognitive understanding. You can also make reports for eye gaze assessments, clinics, schoolwork, reading comprehension, clinical comprehension and more.
What is the difference between PCEye Mini and PCEye Exlore?
The Tobii Dynavox PCEye Explore differs somewhat from the PCEye Mini. Both are based on the extensive R&D of the Tobii Group, market leaders in eye tracking and gaze interaction.
Comparing the two eye trackers there are some differences in terms of the underlying technology, but more importantly also on functional and cost levels.
- One of the most apparent technical differences is that the PCEye Explore requires a USB 3 connection to the desktop or laptop computer, whereas the PCEye Mini runs on USB 2.
- If you are going to use gaze interaction on a screen larger than 19" we recoommend the PCEye Explore. For smaller screen sizes and for tablet use, we recommend the PCEye Mini and EyeMobile Mini.
Can I use the PCEye Explore with a switch?
Yes, if you use Tobii Dynavox Windows Control with your PCEye Explore you can use switch input.
Download and install Gaze Point
To run PCEye Explore you must first download and install Tobii Dynavox Gaze Point. With Gaze Point installed you can move the mouse pointer and perform left mouse clicks. With Gaze Point you also get access to the settings, most importantly:
- Turn the eye tracker on/off
- Turn the visibility of the mouse cursor on/off
- Turn left click on/off
- Set the dwell time for mouse click
This software is only compatible with the PCEye Explore. We do not recommend to install Gaze Point with any other Tobii Dynavox product besides the PCEye Explore.
Manuals for Gaze Point
Here you can download the User Manual and Installation Guide for PCEye Explore:
For more downloads, technical help and FAQs regarding PCEye Explore, visit our PCEye Explore support pages.
Download and install Windows Control
To run PCEye Mini, EyeMobile Mini and the PCEye Explore with Windows Control you must first download and install Tobii Dynavox Windows Control. Windows Control consists of Mouse Emulation, which replaces the traditional mouse cursor with your gaze, as well as the award winning Gaze Selection, which gives you relaxed and ergonomic computer access.
If you want to learn more about the software itself click here.
For more downloads, technical help and FAQs regarding Windows control, visit our support pages.
|Specification||Tobii Dynavox PCEye Explore|
|Size||12.6x0.8x0.7 in/321x19.2x18.2 mm|
|Weight||2.43 oz/69 g|
|Processing unit||Hosted, CPU load <10%|
|Working distance||18-32 in/45-80 cm|
|Head box (width x height at 28 in/70 cm distance)||19x15 in/48x39cm|
|Gaze data rate||>55 Hz|
|Screen size (16:9)
<24" screen (28-30 degree gaze angles)
25-27" screen (31-33 degree gaze angles)
|Mounting||Magnetic Mounting Plates|
|System requirements||Windows 7, 8, 8.1 and 10
2.4 GHz quad core Intel i5 or i7
8 GB RAM
60 MB video RAM, pixel shader version 2.0 or higher