In a playful environment, the user can experience the cause of his or her actions and see what is possible – look at the screen and something happens.
The PCEye Explore is an entry level, peripheral eye tracker that opens up the wonderful world of gaze interaction. With the PCEye Explore, young or inexperienced users get a simple, fun and no-fail way to learn how to use eye tracking and gaze interaction, while at the same time preparing them for AAC communication.
Tobii PCEye Explore is available with either the simple Gaze Point software or Windows Control that is suitable for more advanced users who want to control their entire computer.
Eye tracking applications for fun and learning
There are virtually thousands of third party software titles and web applications that bring excitement, fun, escape, and “no-fail” activities to end users where there has otherwise mostly been work, repetition, and effort. As long as they work with a mouse cursor and an optional left mouse click, you can use them with PCEye Explore.
Gaze Point software for early intervention!
Windows Control software for more advanced users
Precise 1-point calibration
Cost benefits to schools and centers
Share the eye tracker among several users
The PCEye Explore provides great cost benefits to schools and resource centers that offer eye tracking to its students and users, either as a complement or an alternative to switch usage.
- The PCEye Explore is a clip-on module which allows you to use it on different computers, allowing you to upgrade your desktop or laptop computer(s) while keeping the PCEye Explore eye tracker.
- The PCEye Explore can be used with many software titles and web applications: from playing simple cause-and-effect-games to precise targeting.
- The accuracy, precision and robustness of the Tobii Dynavox PCEye Explore makes it ideal for environments with different users. The PCEye Explore can track most individuals, regardless of glasses, contacts or dark or light pupils; and with the support of multiple user profiles and magnetic mounts, changing settings between different users and physical locations is a breeze.
* Tobii Dynavox PCEye Explore is currently available for a price of 749 EUR excluding shipping, handling and applicable taxes (and the equivalent in other regional currencies). This price includes the eye tracker and the software that controls it. Third party software is sold separately.
Frequently Asked Questions
Who should use PCEye Explore
The Tobii Dynavox PCEye Explore is ideal for many types of users, for example:
- Preschoolers can start interacting with their parents through simple eye tracking and gaze interaction activities and games.
- Those wanting to learn eye tracking and gaze interaction.
- Those wanting, or needing, an alternative to switch usage.
- Parents, teachers, SLPs or anyone else who needs to know if, and where, on the screen someone is looking, ideal for assessments and proving the users cognitive and physical abilites . The built in mouse cursor visibility gives a first indication, and for more advanced eye tracking and reporting PCEye Explore can be used with Gaze Viewer, which can record eye tracking data from any application, game or video and save it out as images or video sequences.
- Those working with literacy and reading skills in mainstream schools, as well as in special education. With the build in mouse cursor indicator teachers can see how the eye is moving as the learner reads on the screen and respond appropriately. For more advanced analysis and reports Gaze Viewer can be used to record and replay eye tracking data.
How do I click?
You perform a left mouse click by focusing your eye gaze for a predetermined number of milliseconds on an object. The length of the time, the so called dwell time, is controlled in the settings.
What does it cost? And how do I buy one?
Tobii Dynavox PCEye Explore is an entry level eye tracker, with a list price of 749 EUR (excluding shipping, handling, applicable taxes and any third party products). For this price you get the eye tracking hardware, including a USB 3 connection cable, and the Gaze Point software that makes it possible to move the mouse cursor and perform left clicks.
Please note that this price doesn’t include any third party software; those have to be bought separately. Here is a compilation of of some of the available titles.
You can buy the PCEye Explore from Tobii Dynavox or any of our resellers. Please fill out the form found here and we’ll get back to you. Please note that the PCEye Explore is currently not available in North America.
Can I run Communicator and Compass on it?
Yes, you can run Tobii Dynavox Communicator or Compass on the PCEye Explore if you get it with Tobii Gaze Interaction Software (THIS).
What software and which apps work with PCEye Explore
Basically you can use PCEye Explore with any software, game or web application that only requires moving the mouse and, optionally a left click.
What is Gaze Viewer
Tobii Dynavox Gaze Viewer is an assessment tool for the SLT (SLP), teacher, parent, educational psychologist or anyone else wanting a better understanding of a user’s capabilities.
With Tobii Dynavox Gaze Viewer and a Tobii Dynavox eye tracker like PCEye Explore, you can record real eye tracking data from any application, whether from the Internet or e-books, games, movies and more.
Save the data as single images or movies, with heat maps and gaze plots, and use them to assess an individual’s physical capabilities and cognitive understanding. You can also make reports for eye gaze assessments, clinics, schoolwork, reading comprehension, clinical comprehension and more.
What is the difference between PCEye Explore and PCEye Mini
The Tobii Dynavox PCEye Mini is one of our latest eye trackers and as such it differs somewhat from the PCEye Explore. Both are based on the extensive R&D of the Tobii Group, market leaders in eye tracking and gaze interaction.
Comparing the two eye trackers, there are some differences in terms of the underlying technology, but more importantly also on functional and cost levels.
- One of the most apparent technical differences is that the PCEye Explore requires a USB 3 connection to the desktop or laptop computer.
- On a functional level the PCEye Mini offers the user full mouse functionality and computer access, whereas the PCEye Explore allows the user to “only” move the mouse cursor and perform left clicks.
- The underlying technology and basic functionality is also one of the reasons that the PCEye Explore is priced lower than the more powerful PCEye Mini.
Can I use PCEye Explore with a switch?
No, the PCEye Explore doesn’t work with switch input. If you need switch input, perhaps you want to take a look at the Tobii Dynavox PCEye Mini.
Where can I get answers to my technical questions?
For technical help and more FAQs regarding PCEye Explore, visit our PCEye Explore support pages.